Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Introducing...


My name is Darius Goebel, and I am an English major at Western Michigan University. I plan on becoming a secondary school teacher in the (hopefully) near future.

Besides reading, writing, and teaching, my primary interest is rock and roll music, as well as its related American (specifically African-American) antecedents. When I was eleven I heard Nirvana's album Nevermind and it wrapped its subversive tentacles around my head and my heart. Music has been consistently important to me ever since, as I've worked backward through rock's chronology. Three years after Nevermind I discovered The Sex Pistols and The Clash, and two years after that it was The Velvet Underground and Bob Dylan, and then Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters. Music, to me, is more than a fun diversion; it is a vital expression of human experience (much like literature).

I haven't read much writing from Africa, aside from Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart. I'm looking forward to getting a sense of the spirit and character of African literature, and therefore Africa itself, during this course. Hakuna Matata!

No comments: